Sunday, October 15, 2006

I'm living a dream, says Shah Rukh Khan

At the launch of the Tag Heur Shah Rukh Khan limited edition watch, The Monaco Sixty Nine Chronograph, SRK looked tired, but was in his element. He fielded questions with confidence and his trademark retorts. He oscillated between being slightly arrogant, "I know of only two Khans, Genghis Khan and Shah Rukh Khan!" to a more modest, "I am just an actor who happened to be at the right time and right place. I am living a dream."
Later, reaching him was quite an experience. After passing through a posse of formidable bodyguards and a bunch of extra-cautious, quick to panic people, we felt like we were actually being ushered into the 'Don's den. 'Don' himself, however looked relaxed and in control.
He's indeed living a dream life, so is there anything that he desires any more? He smiles, "The grass always seems greener on the other side. I have the same simple desires that any man on the street has. I want to be happy, I want to be with my kids and I want to continue doing good work. I have little desires like not getting stuck in traffic while commuting to work, going back to a happy family, watching TV, and going to sleep. I want to go on a holiday, now and then. My desires genuinely don't go beyond that. The only difference between me and any other person is that when I go on a holiday, I have to take my bodyguards along and I have to stay in a hotel which is more exclusive than a regular one, though I don't like the expenses."
Are these the liabilities of being a superstar? "Absolutely not. I know there are moments when certain stories disturb me. The most outrageous one I recently heard is that I tried sabotaging Mr Bachchan's birthday by having my book launch on the same day. You cannot do anything about these things. I would rather keep quiet. I can't keep picking on people who say bad things, good things or irrelevant things about me."
Coming to his next release, is there anything about the old 'Don' that he was tempted to imitate? "We didn't want to make a photocopy. We wanted to make a film which is relevant for the youth of today. I watched 'Don' when I was about 13 or 14 years old. So this is for those who are in the age bracket of 15 to 24 now. Farhan (Akhtar) has clearly added newness to the script and story. I would have liked to act like Mr (Amitabh) Bachchan...everyone wants to act like him, but one is not able to."
You are almost there, we tell him and he nods in agreement with a smile, "Yes, almost!"

No comments: